COVID-19: THE COGNAC SECTOR PROVIDES LOGISTICAL SUPPORT FOR PHARMACIES IN THE CHARENTE AND CHARENTE-MARITIME REGIONS
- Donation of alcohol and raw materials used in the manufacture of hand sanitizers to pharmacies in Charente and Charente-Maritime.
- The produced hand sanitizers will be distributed free of charge.
From the very first days of the COVID-19 health crisis, the Cognac industry, in accordance with its corporate values, has been mobilised to help the health workers in its region. In addition to the collective and individual undertakings by the Cognac houses and winegrowers, which are already being carried out (see press info from 30.03.2020), they will extend the supply chain of alcohol and raw materials used in the production of hand sanitizers to pharmacies in Charente and Charente-Maritime.
With the support of the Nouvelle-Aquitaine Regional Health Agency (ARS) and the Union of Pharmacists’ Trade Unions (USPO), from Monday 6 April 2020 the Cognac industry will set up a regional campaign aimed to collect and supply pharmacies in Charente and Charente-Maritime which can manufacture hand sanitizers: alcohol (around 35,000 liters), glycerol, hydrogen peroxide or even cans for transport and bottles for distribution. The last-mentioned elements are currently very difficult to find.
The procedure is the following:
- Collection of neutral alcohol at 96°, glycerol, hydrogen peroxide and adapted containers by the Cognac houses and winegrowers who have it at their disposal;
- Distribution of the alcohol and dry materials at the La Pierre Levée collection site near Cognac or by delivery (cans provided for transport are consigned for reuse by other pharmacists) ;
- Manufacturing of the hand sanitizers by dispensaries and bottling before free distribution to health professionals, nursing homes, home support and people with a precarious status help associations.
BNIC Cognac supports the collective effort while remaining consistent with its values and its territory.