The structure and organization of the BNIC is the result of ongoing, constructive efforts by the industry as a whole, based on three main factors:
- maintaining the balance between winegrowers and merchants;
- dialogue, discussion, and coordination within the industry;
- working together to adopt joint decisions.
Within this context, the BNIC’s internal governance is developed and adjusted to meet the needs of a constantly evolving industry.
Working closely with the Plenary Assembly, the Standing Committee, a strategic, decision-making body, develops policies by directing and arbitrating Commissions, Work Groups and Project Groups.
This preparatory work by the Commissions, Work Groups and Project Groups – acting as consultation and proposal bodies – facilitates decision-making on the basis of the information provided by the teams, acting as a driving force behind the proposals, actions and decisions adopted by the Standing Committee.
Parity in operation, a three-year term office
Each term of office lasts three years, with the position of president alternating between a representative of winegrowers or merchants.
Standing Committee members were appointed, responsible for guaranteeing the strategic vision of the Cognac industry.
The 2020-2023 mandate is a continuation of the projects and discussions carried out collectively under the presidency of Mr. Christophe VERAL, to represent, protect and ensure the sustainable development of the Cognac industry, in a context of dynamic market growth.
The Standing Committee comprises the following:
- Christophe VERAL – president of the BNIC
- Anthony Brun, Official Winegrowers’ Representative – President of the UGVC
- Nicolas Baudry
- Eric Billhouet, President of the DMB and alternate for the official representative of the viticulture family
- François Bodin
- Christophe Forget
- Stéphane Roy
- Jean-Christophe Baraud – alternate for the official representative of the viticulture family
- Alexandre Gabriel – vice-président du BNIC
- Florent Morillon – Official Merchants’ Representative
- Eric Le Gall – president of the Syndicat des Maisons de Cognac (SMC)
- Hervé Bache-Gabrielsen – Alternate for the Official Merchants’ Representative
- Philippe Jouhaud
- Patrice Pinet
- Mélina Py – Vice-President of the DMB
- Patrick Léger – Alternate for the merchants
Acting Raphaël Delpech
Winegrowers’ Union (UGVC)
Merchants’ Union (SMC)
Cognac Wholesalers’ Union
Alternating Merchant/Winegrower Chairmanship
Plenary Assembly (17+17)
Standing Committee (9+9)
President of the Syndicat Viticole (Winegrowers’ Association)
Delegates’ Assembly (68 + 17)
COMMISSIONS AND WORK GROUPS
- Developing the geographical indication
- Technical and Sustainable Development
- Production Business Plan